Systems Engineering for Technology Development & Product Commercialization
Developing and transferring platforms and modular design technologies, integrating them with existing designs to form families of new products along with their enabling production processes and supply chains – this is the “systems development” challenge most organizations face in trying to sustain growth.
Improve the results of your technology development and product commercialization process by deploying PDSS'
methodology in conjunction with your Design for Six Sigma program, called the DFSS-SE program.
The DFSS-SE program is comprised of an integrated set of tools, methods and best practices from the Design for Six Sigma body of knowledge and commercial systems engineering body of knowledge. The program enables companies to improve system performance by clearly defining a set of requirements, deliverables, tasks and enabling tools that form a sound approach to conducting systems engineering in the context of commercial product development.
We will help you define and build a DFSS-enabled systems engineering team that will work in collaboration with inbound marketing, software, hardware and production engineering functions within your organization. This approach ensures that appropriate quantitative system-level data is gathered and presented to properly manage risk and make key decisions at gate reviews using a system of scorecards. Through a combination of formal training, workshops, project and tool coaching and consulting, PDSS will help you improve platform, modular design and product family development with an integrated set of systems engineering and DFSS tools, methods and best practices.
- Improved robustness and tunability of new technologies, platforms and modular designs being readied for commercialization projects
- Clear and accurate definition and documentation of system requirements and the critical parameters that fulfill them
- Work with subsystem, production and supply chain teams using DFSS to define and balance nominal set points and tolerances to optimize system performance — at the right sigma level (...it may not be 6!!!)
- Transfer a documented critical parameter database to commercialization, production, supply chain and service engineering teams for problem solving and rapid diagnostics
- System architecting — converting requirements into form, fit and function
- Architecture definition — methods for defining and documenting a system architecture that is capable of meeting the CTQ’s at the system level
- Architecture evaluation — structured methods for evaluating system architecture to identify strengths, weaknesses, sensitivities and risks
- Project management – methods and best practices for developing a work breakdown structure and critical path of tasks for a system engineering team. The cycle-time for the SE critical path is designed and forecasted using Monte Carlo simulation. A system of scorecards is used to track the system engineering's team performance at the tool, task and gate deliverable level
- System reliability budgeting, development and assessment — an integrated set of system reliability requirements, allocation budgets, development methods, stress testing, reliability growth tracking and final assessment techniques
- System integration, robustness development and stress testing — methods of critical parameter management for developing robustness and tenability to optimize Cp and Cpk for the integrated system. A method and database for system-wide critical parameter management is developed and deployed.
- System testing for launch readiness — a complete methodology for an integrated series of system evaluation and test plans from baseline design characterization to subsystem and system robustness development to system tolerance balancing to final system performance and sensitivity verification.